Émile Goulet and his father, Charles are alive today because of the 9-year-old’s quick thinking.
According to the OI Canadian (reported also in the Journal de Quebec), Charles had an allergic reaction to a bee sting while driving. Using his hands-free device, Charles was able to let his wife, Chantale Ouellette, know he wasn’t feeling well.
They were only three kilometers from home, but he never finished his conversation.
“’Suddenly, everything changed, I lost consciousness. My son told me that my eyes were wide open, but that I was no longer reacting,’ says the father of the family, who had never reacted in this way to a bee sting.'”
The car was still moving and heading into the opposite lane. Émile saw what was happening from his seat in the back of the car and took action.
“’First, I untied myself and boarded dad. After that, I took his foot off the accelerator and I braked. Then I put the car on park’, explains the 9-year-old boy shyly.”
The fast-acting boy was able to steer the car and park safely on the shoulder of the road.
Moments later, Chantale, who has a history of allergic reactions to bee stings, arrived with an Epipen. Charles regained consciousness and was transported to the hospital.
Snacksafely.com reports that this wasn’t the boy’s first experience operating a vehicle. “Luckily, Émile had had some experience operating motorized vehicles as he and his dad would sometimes ride a side-by-side ATV through their orchard. Said Charles: ‘He says all the time that he wants to come with me to the orchard, all of a sudden something happens to me. It happened that he was there at the right time, he’s kind of my guardian angel.'”
The same article warns parents that allergies can develop at any time in life. Any time you experience an unusual symptom, especially while driving, it’s important for all involved to take precautions.
Émile’s parents must be certain that his guardian angel was guiding the 9-year-old and his father to safety. Both parents are grateful their son’s heroism prevented everyone from any harm.
“’There are so many things that could have happened. I’m really proud of the way my son reacted, it could have ended very badly,’” mom said.