Faith Comes Through Hearing
The Apostle Paul in Romans 10:17, ESV, says that “faith comes through hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.”
The hearing of Word is necessary for every Christian to grow more and more into the image of Christ (Romans 8:29).
The way that unbelievers come to see and trust in Christ only happens by hearing (or reading) the Word of God.
We grow in holiness through the word of Christ; we learn to love Him more by hearing with faith.
The best preacher in your Christian life is the one God has placed over you. There is no replacing your local pastor and his preaching. He alone knows you, cares for you, and shepherds you with prayers and preaching that only God can supply him with for your good.
And yet, in God’s kindness He has given us many supplements to our faith in the Christian life through gifted men and faithful preachers.
Below, in no particular order, are some of my favorite and most encouraging sermons from some of the more well-known preachers, teachers, and theologians.
May God increase your faith and receive the glory as you hear.
- Hacking Agag to Pieces by John MacArthur. One of the most obscure texts for many believers to read (1 Samuel 15:33) but one of the most profound sermons on putting sin to death in the Christian life.
- Shocking Youth Message by Paul Washer. One of the most watched sermons. Lukewarm Christianity will either be set on fire, or found to be false.
- God is For God by Matt Chandler. Chandler reminds us of God’s love for His glory!
- It Will Cost You Everything by Steven Lawson. What does biblical discipleship look like? Listen to Dr. Steven Lawson preach a sermon that ignited a conference.
- Divine Sovereignty: The Fuel of Death-Defying Missions by David Platt. Probably one of the most encouraging sermons I’ve ever heard to propel missions and evangelism. This sermon is gripping.
- Hell’s Best Kept Secret by Ray Comfort. Why do so many so-called Christians fall away? Ray Comfort brings the truth to light.
- The Curse Motif of the Atonement by R.C. Sproul. What does it mean that Jesus became a curse for us (Galatians 3:13)?
- Don’t Waste Your Life by John Piper. One of the most well-known sermons. Changed many lives and still continues to!
- You Must Be Born Again by Tim Keller. Tim Keller gives fresh insight and the truths of the old paths of John 3.
- The World, the Flesh, and the Devil by Voddie Baucham. The Christian life and the many enemies we face — and how to walk in faith in the supremacy of Christ.